A healthier gut is the key to a healthier life. When you choose to do a gut cleanse you are saying yes to enjoying new levels of physical and mental vitality. Scientific studies show that levels of good bacteria that live in our tummy can affect:
- Weight control
- Energy levels
Common Gut Cleanse Questions Answered
How can I restore my gut health?
The answer to restoring gut health is eating fermented foods for a gut cleanse. Fermentation creates nutritious and easier to digest food. It is nutritious because the fermentation process adds the following to the food:
- Live enzymes
- B Vitamins
Restoring gut health happens by increasing the bioavailability of minerals present in food. This then helps the body to assimilate more nutrition after the process of a gut cleanse.
What are the symptoms of an unhealthy gut?
Levels of good bacteria in the stomach can become diminished over time which requires a gut cleanse. This happens through eating too much sugar and processed or artificial foods. Other causes can be factors outside of our control such as taking antibiotics. Symptoms of an unhealthy guy that require a gut cleanse includes:
- Sugar cravings
- Chronic fatigue
- Upset stomach
- Unintentional weight changes
- Sleep disturbance
- Skin irritation
- Food intolerances
How do I detox my gut?
There are many ways to gut cleanse. The best way is to eat fermented foods and drink fermented drinks like kombucha. Try drinking a small amount of brewed kombucha a couple of days in a row and see how you feel. Most people enjoy drinking it because it is a much healthier alternative to coffee and tea. Drinking plenty of water also helps the process of a gut cleanse.
Restore Gut Health Recipe
Kombucha is a fermented energising drink that has gained popularity in the past 20 years. The fermenting process involves the help of symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. Most kombucha needs both sugar and caffeine to survive. So, it thrives on sweetened black or green tea.
To make kombucha tea at home for your gut cleanse you can do either of the following:
- Use a small piece of kombucha mother, or,
- Make it out of the store-bought, live-cultured plain kombucha drink.
The fermentation process with kombucha mother is usually faster than a kombucha drink. Here is the recipe for making homemade kombucha, perfect for your gut cleanse journey.
Ingredients – makes 1.5 litres (6 cups)
- 960 ml / 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sencha green tea (or other green/black tea)
- 100 g raw brown sugar
- Small piece of kombucha mother or 480ml live-cultured plain kombucha drink
- 1.5-litre glass jar
- Muslin cloth or paper towel
- Rubber band
- Bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the loose tea or tea bags. Steep for around 10 minutes. Strain the tea into a clean jar, add the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Let it cool to room temperature. Add the piece of kombucha mother or kombucha drink. Cover with a muslin or paper towel and fix with a rubber band.
- If using the mother, let it sit for one week, then check and taste. If it is too sweet then let it brew for longer. If using kombucha drink, then after the first week you should check it every couple of days. A kombucha skin should start to form on the surface of the tea.
- Ferment until it reaches the desired taste. You can enjoy it sweet or wait longer for a sour and fizzy kombucha. When you are happy with the taste, then transfer the liquid into another jar and refrigerate.
- Make sure that you only use clean equipment when handling kombucha. If mould appears on the surface then throw everything away and start over.
Live Well News
Exercise is just as important as nutrition when it comes to a gut cleanse and achieving optimal wellness. Did you know that you can book a free gym session at Live Well Health Clubs? Join us today at one of our gyms in Sydney to see the benefits for yourself.